Cloverdale Town Centre is receiving official recognition for its historical significance, after Surrey city council gave a project the green light Monday night.
In 2016, the Cloverdale BIA requested heritage road markers and district signs for the historic Cloverdale core.
City council has now agreed to designate the area “Historic Cloverdale,” making it Surrey’s second recognized heritage district.
The only other is Whalley’s Corner, at 108 Avenue, King George Boulevard and Grosvenor Road. It was designated in 2015.
“The (Cloverdale) Town Centre core meets the criteria for district signage, as it is well-established, pedestrian-oriented and has small-scale commercial development,” notes a city report.
“In addition, it has a publicly recognizable identity, and its boundaries align with a City land use plan. District signs are proposed at the intersections on the two major roads in the core, 176 Street and 176A Street.”
The report also notes the name “Historic Cloverdale” is appropriate, as the area was Surrey’s first town centre, established in 1879.
“The advent of the railways from 1891 through 1911 played a significant role in the development of Cloverdale,” it continues, “and it emerged as the early administrative, transportation and education centre of Surrey.
“Many of the historic buildings in today’s Cloverdale Town Centre core date from 1910-1911. Through the first half of the 20th Century, Cloverdale was home to the Municipal Hall (built in 1912); the first Surrey High School (opened 1912); Surrey’s only doctor, Doctor Sinclair, and the medical health officer until 1951; the Municipal Policeman; the Municipal Jail; hotels; an opera house; and a number of churches.”
In Cloverdale, seven roads will receive heritage road markers within the town centre.
They include 56A Avenue (Robinson Avenue); 57 Avenue (Melrose Avenue); 57A Avenue (Hawthorne Avenue); 58 Avenue (Broadway); 58A Avenue (Bond Avenue); 156 Street (Clover Valley Road); and 176A Street (King Street).
The Cloverdale BIA has agreed to pay for the signs.
Numbered avenues and streets were introduced to Surrey in 1957.
Previously, the city’s roads had non-numerical names and heritage road markers recognize these historical names.
“These heritage road names are secondary, honourary road names,” according to the city, “and are typically recognized by mid-block black and white signs placed every three kilometres on the road in question.”
In 2015, city council adopted the Surrey Street Naming Policy, which “ensures a consistent approach to the official and secondary naming of streets in Surrey.”
In particular, the policy provides a framework for the installation of heritage road markers and district signs.
Other examples of heritage road names in Surrey include Johnson Road (152 Street), Hjorth Road (104 Avenue) and Coast Meridian Road.