The purpose of the crime beat is to educate and inform the public about some of the property crime trends occurring in North Delta and other files of interest. It is submitted weekly by the Delta Police Department. If you see anything occurring that you believe to be suspicious, call 911 for in progress crimes and emergencies or 604-946-4411 for other assistance.
The following are some of the calls police responded to in the previous week:
• Nov. 29, 11900-block 96th Ave.: Police were dispatched to a report of a stolen vehicle. The owner had left the vehicle parked for a few days on their lawn as it did not run, and noted they had the only set of keys.
• Nov. 30, 8300-block Delsom Way: Police were dispatched to a reported mischief and theft after several mailboxes had been pried open, with mail having been stolen from within. Police urge everyone to take extra precaution with respect to their cybersecurity, online shopping habits and password management, as instances of fraud are high following the theft of mail.
• Dec. 1, 7600-block 118th St.: Police were dispatched to a reported theft. The homeowner observed a package had been left on a neighbor’s doorstep before a different van pulled up to the home and someone grabbed the package then drove off. Suspect and vehicle description were provided to police for info.
• Dec. 2, 7:01 p.m., 7300-block 120th St.: Police were dispatched to a reported theft in progress by in-store staff who followed the suspect outside and flagged down police upon arrival. The suspect was taken into custody without issue, and was found to be in violation of court ordered conditions not to be found within that store. Police transported the suspect to Surrey RCMP cells on multiple outstanding charges.
• Dec. 3, 8200-block 108th St.: Police were requested to assist BC Ambulance for an unco-operative person in need of medical attention. Upon arrival, police found the person in distress and refusing to co-operate with EHS, who were called by concerned associates after the person had ingested large amounts of alcohol and illicit drugs. Once calm, EHS secured the distressed person to a stretcher and transported them to hospital.
• Dec. 4, 2:44 p.m., 9100-block 112th St.: Police were dispatched to a reported mischief in a park washroom. The unknown suspect damaged all the washroom’s toilets, leaving debris on the ground inside and outside the washroom. No witnesses or CCTV available. Delta Parks advised of damages.