Supporters showed up at the courthouse in Port Alberni for the schedule appearance of a woman and her partner charged with assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement on Jan. 11, 2019. (Susie Quinn/Alberni Valley News)

B.C. parents get conditional discharge in assault of child-luring suspect

Couple and family friend were alleged to have captured a man who planned to have sex with daughter

A Port Alberni mother and stepfather pleaded guilty on Friday to assault in a suspected child-luring case involving their 13-year-old daughter.

The couple and a family friend had been accused of assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement. They were alleged to have beaten and tied up a man who had come to the couple’s home to allegedly have sex with their 13-year-old daughter.

READ MORE: Vancouver Island parents charged for capture of child luring suspect

A publication ban was put in place to protect the girl’s identity.

The mother and stepfather originally pleaded not guilty on Jan. 2, but changed their pleas on Friday in provincial court in Port Alberni. The girl’s mother pleaded to a lesser charge of common assault, while the stepfather pleaded to one charge of assault causing bodily harm.

The family friend also pleaded guilty to one count assault causing bodily harm.

Charges of unlawful confinement were stayed for all three.

All were given conditional discharges of six to 12 months, meaning if they follows certain conditions, they won’t have a criminal record for the matter once their sentences are up.

The assaults occurred last April, when RCMP were called to a disturbance in the 3600-block of Bruce Street and discovered a 28-year-old man injured and secured with zap-straps.

The man, who is the subject of an ongoing child-luring investigation, had allegedly come to the home to meet and have sex with a 13-year-old girl, according to the girl’s mother.

RCMP have said the man has not been charged, and that the incident is “still under investigation.” Crown counsel confirmed there are no charges against the suspect.

In presenting the sentences, Justice Ronald Lamperson cautioned people against vigilante justice.

“We don’t in Canadian society condone vigilante justice,” he said. “That message should be clear to the community.”

A small group of supporters sitting in the courtroom clapped after the judge sentenced the mother and stepfather.

Maureen Kelly was one of many who arrived early outside the courthouse to hold a sign in protest of the charges, even though she doesn’t know the people involved.

“Maybe it wasn’t right what they did, but they were left with little choice,” Kelly said before going inside to listen to proceedings. “How else are you supposed to protect your children?”

Natasha Geddes also went to the courthouse in support of the parents. “I think it’s disgusting. Maybe what the parents did wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t think there’s anything else they could have done.”

Just Posted

North Delta crime beat, week of March 3

A selection of property crimes submitted weekly by the Delta Police Department

North Delta Lions win city heritage award

Award recognized the work of the Lions in organizing the North Delta Family Day parade and festival

Semiahmoo Ravens win first two games of peewee hockey provincials

Peninsula team hosting Tier 1 tournament at White Rock’s Centennial Arena

Surrey RCMP search for missing woman

Deborah-Lynn Hurshman was last seen on the 13600-block of 102 Avenue on March 12.

Defiant vigil starts healing in New Zealand after massacre

Police say the gunman in the shooting that killed 50 acted alone

B.C. First Nations’ intake of essential nutrients could drop by 31%: study

Professors project the nutrient decrease by 2050 if climate change mitigation continues as is

5 to start your day

Gas prices go up, a deadly single-car crash in Coquitlam, big day for Alphonso Davies, and more

Man enters unlocked B.C. home with knife, sexually assaults 22-year-old

Investigation ongoing after woman sexually assaulted in Greater Victoria early Sunday morning

Trudeau fills vacancy in cabinet with B.C. MP Joyce Murray

Murray, 64, was elected in 2008 and served previously as a minister in B.C.’s provincial government

Gunman kills 3 on Dutch tram; mayor says terror likely

Utrecht police release photo of 37-year-old man born in Turkey who is ‘associated with the incident’

Driver dies in fiery crash in Coquitlam

Police say speed was factor in single-vehicle collision

Facebook announces changes to political advertising to meet new federal rules

Bill C-76 bans the use of money from foreign entities to conduct partisan campaigns

Most Read