Surrey’s Buneet Bisla in the boxing ring. (submitted photo)

Postponed fight means Surrey boxer Bisla won’t get to ‘kick 2020 off with a bang’

‘I’m pretty bummed out,’ he says of delayed ‘Hard Knocks at the Hard Rock’ event in Coquitlam

By Ryan-Alexander McLeod, for Black Press

Athletes train hard for the chance to have their moment in the lights, to win. Whether it’s lifting the World Cup or getting a knockout victory in the third round, athletes work for it, but at this moment all sports have hit pause.

At age 21, Buneet Bisla is building a light-heavyweight career full of monumental victories and moments of his own. But two unanimous-decision wins into his young professional boxing career, his third fight, scheduled for Saturday, March 21 at the Hard Rock Casino Vancouver, has been postponed due to COVID-19 virus concerns.

The Surrey fighter’s last fight was on Nov. 8 during a Thrilla at the Villa II event in Burnaby, where he beat Oscar “Devastating” Cortez.

Since that night last fall, Bisla has trained hard and stuck to a strict diet in order to earn a third victory, but he will have to wait to box again, following the postponement of the Hard Knocks at the Hard Rock event in Coquitlam.

“I’m pretty bummed out,” Bisla said. “We trained pretty hard for the last two months, focused on the diet and specific training for it. But I get it, the coronavirus sucks and it’s put a stop to all sports, not just boxing.”

From his start as an amateur boxer going 30-2, winning multiple titles, turning that into an undefeated amateur career in kickboxing and Muay Thai, there doesn’t seem to be much Bisla can’t do.

“I’d say my fighting style is explosive punch combos, and I’m very defensive,” he said. “I was born and raised in Surrey, training in taekwondo since I was 4.”

Following up amateur success can be hard for some fighters as the expectations can be difficult to live up to, but he has held his own with a successful two-bout winning streak as a professional boxer.

His boxing career will continue at some point, but for now he is continuing to train in the hope that things will sort themselves out sooner than later.

“I was so ready to fight after the three-month layoff,” Bisla said. “I was completely pumped to come back and kick 2020 off with a bang.”

“Now we just wait and see what happens with all of this.”

In a statement, Anna Farrant, CEO of Alliance Boxing Promotions, said the company is following guidance from the provincial government and is cancelling upcoming events.

“Sadly, in compliance with the recent press release from the provincial government, we have to cancel our event (at the Hard Rock),” Farrant said.

“All events over 250 people are to be canceled for the timebeing. We are sad for all the athletes that have been training hard over the last month. But we have to follow the lead of the health minister,” she said.

With no reschedule fight date set, Bisla is hoping that circumstances around COVID-19 clear up soon.

“I’m back in the gym, hopefully we can get back into a training camp soon,” Bisla said. “The promoter told us they’re going to hold tight until May and see where things are at, so hopefully it’s sooner than later.

“I’d love to get a fight because fall is just such a long time to wait, but we will respect what the health minister said.”

Added Farrant: “We are working with the casino to secure another date after the summer.”

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

North Delta crime beat, week of June 21

A selection of property crimes submitted weekly by the Delta Police Department

Proposed White Rock waterfront zoning questioned by residents

Group says approval will create a precedent of increased height on West Beach

Cloverdale students make puzzles for care home residents

Students from Cloverdale’s Sunrise Ridge delivered gifts to seniors and thank you notes to first responders

COLUMN: Timing just right for raising minimum wage

Raising minimum wage will protect human life and reduce poverty, writes Garber Black

Easter Seals drop zone returning to Surrey as ‘great no-contact event’

Health and safety a ‘top priority’ for annual event

Man who rammed gate near Trudeau residence with truck faces multiple charges

The man, who police have not yet officially identified, will be charged with multiple offences

All community COVID-19 outbreaks declared over in B.C.

Abbotsford manufacturer cleared by Dr. Bonnie Henry

Kelowna RCMP commander calls for more nurses during wellness checks after complaint

Southeast District Commander wants to increase Police and Crisis Team program

‘Tarantula moth’ spotted in broad daylight on Vancouver Island

Polyphemus moths are one of the largest insects in B.C.

B.C. First Nations vow to keep fighting after Trans Mountain pipeline appeal denied

Squamish Nation, Tsleil-Waututh Nation and Coldwater Indian Band made the application

‘Queue jumpers’ not welcome in B.C. as COVID-19 U.S. cases rise: Horgan

Premier Horgan said he’s heard concerns that Americans have stopped at Vancouver hotels instead of heading to their destination

Police arsenal deployed to avoid potentially violent situation: Mounties

Langley RCMP arrest armed Vancouver man after Tasering him on side street

US officer resigns after photos, connected to death of black man in 2019, surface

Elijah McClain died, last summer, after police placed him in a chokehold

Most Read