Canada’s best junior lacrosse players will do battle in Langley this summer

Langley Events Centre will host the Minto Cup from Aug. 15 to 26.

Langley Events Centre will once again be hosting the Minto Cup this summer.

BC Junior A Lacrosse League and the event centre (LEC) made the announcement Thursday, confirming the “prestigious” lacrosse competition is set for Aug. 15 to 26.

The Minto Cup features the top junior ‘A’ teams from B.C., Alberta and Ontario, and it will be back in Langley for the first time since the Coquitlam Adanacs took home the title in 2016.

The Adanacs will also be looking to defend the title they won in August 2018 in Alberta by defeating Ontario’s Brampton Excelsiors in four games.

This is the third time the competition will be held at LEC, having previously been staged in 2014 and 2016.

“The staff at Langley Events Centre have done such a fantastic job in holding events like these that we know it will be an amazing event, not only for the players, but for the fans as well,” BCJALL president Karl Christiansen said.

“We encourage fans to keep their eyes open for more news as we get closer to the Minto Cup,” he added.

The passion, dedication and skill the athletes display makes for a “fantastic sporting environment,” said Tyler Dinwoodie, associate director of production services for LEC.

“Having hosted the Minto Cup on two occasions, we know first-hand what a great event this, and we look forward to once again witnessing the best Canadian junior lacrosse players battle for their sport’s ultimate prize,” Dinwoodie added.

The Langley Thunder organization will be partnering with LEC to host the 2019 Minto Cup on behalf of the BCJALL.

“We would like to thank the BCJALL board of governors for this opportunity as we look forward to welcoming the Canadian lacrosse community to Langley for what is sure to be a first-class event,” said Langley Junior Thunder president Ken Buchan.

Township Mayor Jack Froese said he’s “thrilled” to welcome the Minto Cup back to Langley Events Centre.

“The Township of Langley is a sports town and it is always exciting for our community and lacrosse fans from throughout the region to experience this calibre of competition,” Froese said.

Four clubs will compete for the ultimate prize in junior ‘A’ lacrosse; the historic Minto Cup was officially designated the national championship in 1937. The BCJALL will receive two berths in the Minto Cup – one for the provincial champions and one for the runner-up.

Following a press conference and meetings on Aug. 15, the four teams will compete in round-robin play Aug. 16 to 18.

The first-place team will advance directly to the best-of-five championship series, while the second and third-place teams will face-off on Aug. 19.

The championship series begins on Aug. 21.

With the continual development of the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse League, which features teams from Alberta and Saskatchewan, and the always tough Ontario champions, the 2019 Minto Cup promises to be one of the most competitive in recent memory, Christiansen said.

Just Posted

Cars keyed on BC Ferries after alarms bother dog on board

Delta police arrested one passenger on suspicion of mischief

Biting and jumping are paw-sitives when raising a police dog puppy

18-week-old Maya is training with Delta police to one day take a bite out of crime

Mother’s death causes singer to cancel Surrey Fusion Festival performance

Revised schedule released with Mankirt Aulakh replacing Sharry Mann

TONIGHT: Eagle Eyes to headline Concerts for the Pier in White Rock

East Beach event to feature The Fab Fourever

Toilet, bathtub among junk dumped behind Scott Road thrift store, costing operators money

‘I wish people would appreciate what we do, and not dump their stuff,’ frustrated manager says

Feds lowered poverty line, reducing the number of seniors in need: documents

Liberals introduced a poverty line that was below the prior low-income cutoff

BCHL: Alberni Valley Bulldogs have been sold

Victoria company has purchased BCHL team, but will keep it in Port Alberni

“Does Kirby care?” B.C. First Nation’s group using geo-targeted ads in Houston, Texas for justice

The Heiltsuk Tribal Council has called out Kirby Corporation for the Nathan E. Stewart oil spill

Trudeau announces $79M investment for 118 more public transit buses across B.C.

Contributions from municipal to federal level to fund more buses in a bid to cut commutes

B.C. woman wins record $2.1 million on casino slot machine

‘That night was so surreal … I wasn’t able to sleep or eat for the first two days,’ she said

After B.C. dad’s death, Technical Safety BC wants changes to trampoline park rules

Jay Greenwood, 46, did ‘a series of acrobatic manoeuvres prior to a fall that caused serious injury and cardiac arrest’

$900M settlement reached in class action on sexual misconduct in Canadian military

After facing criticism, the government moved to begin settlement proceedings in early 2018

Tax take stays ahead of increased B.C. government spending

Tax revenue $2.1 billion higher than budget in 2018-19

Two toddler siblings found drowned on First Nation in Alberta

The siblings were found drowned on their family’s property, according to RCMP

Most Read