Stephanie Gilpin, whose parents, aunts and uncles were sent to residential schools, looks at the shoes, flowers and stuffed annimals placed at the Centennial Flame on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, in memory of the 215 children whose remains were found at the grounds of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School at Tk’emlups te Secwépemc First Nation in Kamloops on Sunday. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang)

Stephanie Gilpin, whose parents, aunts and uncles were sent to residential schools, looks at the shoes, flowers and stuffed annimals placed at the Centennial Flame on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, in memory of the 215 children whose remains were found at the grounds of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School at Tk’emlups te Secwépemc First Nation in Kamloops on Sunday. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang)

Column

SIMPSON: Surrey’s refusal to acknowledge First Nations land was terrible look – now it’s even worse

Discovery of 215 buried children makes Surrey’s Indigenous snub that much more shameful

Beep.

“The City of Surrey would like to begin by acknowledging that the land on which we gather is the treaty territory of the Tsawwassen First Nations and the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Coast Salish people, specifically the Kwantlen, Katzie, and Semiahmoo First Nations.”

Beep.

Seventeen seconds.

According to my stopwatch, that’s how long it would have taken for Surrey council to do the right thing.

A land acknowledgement before a civic meeting is not the be-all, end-all solution for reconciliation, but it’s an important step. It’s a tradition that has been adopted as a common practice in civic and community spaces across Canada, most recently in Delta.

For Indigenous people, land acknowledgements show their respect for the land, a tradition that dates back centuries. For non-Indigenous Canadians, land acknowledgements are an opportunity to reflect on the impacts of colonialism and how to engage more meaningfully in reconciliation.

Just think. All that can be accomplished in 17 seconds.

But alas, in all its wisdom, Surrey city council recently rejected a motion to give a respectful nod to Surrey’s First Nations, Inuit and Métis (myself included) communities.

SEE MORE: McCallum says First Nations are treated ‘better in Surrey literally than anywhere’

They had a chance to do right by Surrey’s Indigenous residents – who, by the way, form the largest population of urban Indigenous Peoples in B.C. – and they blew it.

In a 5-4 vote on Jan. 11, Mayor Doug McCallum and his Safe Surrey Coalition shot down Jack Hundial’s motion calling for every council and committee meeting to be prefaced with the acknowledgment they are being held on First Nations territory.

The rejection shocked Hundial, and disappointed many Surrey residents and Indigenous leaders across B.C.

“If the city cannot acknowledge whose lands they work, how can Surrey be trusted to advance reconciliation and First Nations issues?” B.C. Assembly of First Nations Regional Chief Terry Teegee said in a statement.

It was a terrible look for Surrey back in January but last week’s discovery of the remains of 215 children at the site of a former Kamloops residential school makes it a much more bitter pill to swallow.

SEE MORE: Time to account for all child deaths at Canada’s residential schools: Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc

It’s especially distasteful when you hear council’s rationale.

McCallum, for his part, said there was no need to make such a formal move to make land acknowledgements because Indigenous people already like him.

“I think we’re doing an excellent job currently and the First Nations are happy with what we’re doing,” he said in January, adding “we treat them better in Surrey literally than anywhere.”

Councillor Laurie Guerra said she doesn’t think council should be “forced” to acknowledge anything.

“Let me be clear, I have no problem with the content of the notice of motion in terms of the public acknowledgement portion, however, I do have concerns when it comes to legislating speech and making it that it’s a must,” she said.

As Tom Zytaruk reported, Allison Patton said she voted against it because she doesn’t like the person who presented the idea.

Referring to Hundial not by name but as “that person” and the “originator” of the motion, Patton said she thinks that “when the comment says develop a meaningful, respectful acknowledgement I do think authenticity is critical here, and I’m a bit concerned when it comes to the word authenticity and the initiator of this notice and some of the things I’ve read and seen.”

SEE MORE: First Nation MLA says B.C. must do more for Indigenous reconciliation after residential school deaths

It’s clear that our elected officials are making decisions based on petty political feuds.

Think about it. Our council can’t take 17 seconds out of their hours-long meetings (Monday’s was nearly six) that have become infamous for awkward diatribes that can only be described as spectacular exercises in childishness.

And remember this.

In January 2020, McCallum raised eyebrows when he began a council meeting by calling for reflection on the passing of basketball star Kobe Bryant, who died in a California helicopter crash.

But at Monday’s meeting, the first after the terrible discovery of the 215 buried children?

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Surrey lowered the flags to half-mast this week and the mayor issued a press release about “the heartbreaking legacy of the residential school system.”

Fantastic. But so much more could have been accomplished before all the flags were lowered.

And it only would have taken 17 seconds.

Beau Simpson is editor of the Now-Leader. Email him at beau.simpson@surreynowleader.com

–––

The Indian Residential School Survivors Society is offering toll-free 24-hour telephone support for survivors and their families at 1 (866) 925-4419. The KUU-US Crisis Line Society’s 24-hour line is available at 1-800-588-8717.



beau.simpson@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow us on Twitter

Surrey

Just Posted

File photo
Surrey Board of Trade vows ‘a lot of noise’ will be made about tax increases

Huberman calls for comprehensive tax review at all levels of government

A butterfly takes a rest on some flowers in a hanging basket in one of three entries in the 2021 Sunshine Hills Community Group Virtual Garden Show by “flowers flowers flowers” category winner Tammy S. (Tammy S./Facebook photo)
18 winners named in North Delta virtual garden show

2021 Sunshine Hills Community Group Virtual Garden Show ran May 28 to June 4

William Henry Rawlison was last seen on Sunday, June 20, 2021. (Contributed photo)
Police looking for missing White Rock senior

William Rawlison, last seen on June 20, may be driving to Kamloops

(James Smith photo)
North Delta crime beat, week of June 7

A selection of property crimes submitted weekly by the Delta Police Department

Earl Marriott Mariners football coach Michael Mackay-Dunn (centre, wearing white hat) is retiring from teaching and coaching. (EMS Football photo)
Longtime Earl Marriott Secondary teacher, football coach retires

Michael Mackay-Dunn hangs up coaching whistle after 22 years

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

People look over the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
One dead and extensive damage as tornado hits Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal

Damage reported in several parts of the city, and emergency teams dispatched to sectors hardest hit

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

Most Read