Eileen Mohan stands near a photograph of her and her son Christopher.

‘Why me? Why Christopher?’

Eileen Mohan continues to grieve, while courts impose further delays in the trial of the man facing charges related to her son's murder

 

Eileen Mohan agonizes over yet another delay in the trial of the man accused of killing her son.

Since her son’s murder in 2007, her life has been “turned inside out,” she says, and often wonders how she will continue.

She has just learned she will have to wait two more years before a man charged in connection with his murder will face trial, and that there’s a possibility he may go free because of the delays.

“I always look to the heavens and say `Why me? Why Christopher?” Mohan said Monday. “We were good people, and we were doing really good things in life… sometimes I don’t understand how fate has played its hand.

“I don’t know how I live, but I do.”

Jamie Bacon (shown left) is one of the people arrested and charged with murder in relation to the killing of six people in suite 1505 of the Balmoral Tower in North Surrey, including Christopher Mohan and Ed Schellenberg, two innocent bystanders.

Last week, the trial of  Jamie Bacon was postponed until March, 2018, making it nine years he will have been waiting for due process.

Justice Branch spokesman Dan McLaughlin confirmed Monday that the Bacon matter had been put off.

Part of that reason is that his defense is crafting an application for a stay of proceedings.

If successful, Bacon would be set free.

“It’s realistic that he might be granted a stay, and that’s something I don’t want to happen,” Mohan said.

McLaughlin told The Leader it’s a complicated case, and Crown is doing what it can to move things along.

“We’re always concerned that we proceed to trial in a timely fashion,” McLaughlin said Monday. “And we’re taking steps to ensure that occurs.”

The trial itself is expected to last for six to nine months.

To this point, four people have been convicted or have pleaded guilty, to a role in the murders of Corey Lal, his brother Michael, associates Ryan Bartolomeo and Eddie Narong, as well as Schellenberg and Mohan.

In December 2014, Cody Haevischer and Matthew Johnston were sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of six counts of first degree murder and one count of conspiracy.

They are appealing that conviction.

Michael Le pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and was sentenced to 12 years.

One person, who can only be identified as Person X by court order, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for three of the murders and was sentenced to life with no parole for 15 years.

 

Just Posted

Police issue warning after four overdoses in North Delta

Police and emergency health services use naloxone to revive four overdose victims Thursday morning

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

Delta reassuring residents tap water is safe to drink

Statement prompted by telemarketers claiming water quality concerns to sell filtration systems

PHOTOS: Surrey designer uses toilet paper to make a dress for annual Toronto show

‘The dress is very experimental and avante garde,’ says Guildford-based Alex S. Yu

Trudeau vows to stand firm against ‘increasingly assertive’ China

China has accused Canada of meddling in its affairs

Conan turns to the Property Brothers for tips on buying Greenland

Jonathan Scott suggests removing glaciers and mountains to bring in ‘more natural light’

Forests minister visits B.C. town rocked by multiple mill shutdowns

A third of Mackenzie turns out for rally, not much to cheer about

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

Expanded support to help B.C. youth from care attend university still falling short

Inadequate support, limited awareness and eligibility restrictions some of the existing challenges

North Van music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

B.C. man on trial for daughters’ murders says an intruder broke in

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

Most Read