Near empty security lines are seen at the domestic departures of Vancouver International Airport, Tuesday, June 9, 2020. (Photo: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)

Near empty security lines are seen at the domestic departures of Vancouver International Airport, Tuesday, June 9, 2020. (Photo: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)

Surrey school district looks to update policies around extended field studies

In 2020, the district cancelled 53 trips due to the COVID-19 pandemic

The Surrey school district is looking at reworking policies around students travelling on extended field studies after the COVID-19 pandemic upended dozens of school trips last year.

“With such a significant world event comes the need to pause and adjust how the district facilitates and supports extended field studies moving forward,” according to a presentation to the Surrey Board of Education from assistant superintendents Andrew Holland and Lynda Reeve during its Feb. 10 meeting.

Superintendent Jordan Tinney said it has been an “extraordinary” year after there were orders to close the borders last spring.

“We had many students in transit at the time as part of an ongoing series of programs that everyone knows in the district. Students travel overseas very often.”

With a moratorium on student travel, Tinney added it’s a good time to review the policies.

The district defines extended field studies as “involving absences from the Lower Mainland for more than 3 consecutive days, higher risk activities or international travel.” The district said schools participate in about 60 extended field studies involving international travel each year.

However, with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the school district had to cancel 53 field study trips.

At the beginning of March 2020, the district initially cancelled all trips to Italy, Japan and France as those were some of the hardest-hit countries at the beginning of the pandemic. Within two weeks, the district had cancelled all remaining international trips for the year.

READ MORE: Coronavirus causes Surrey Schools to cancel trips to Italy, Japan and France, March 3, 2020

READ MORE: All international student trips have been cancelled amid COVID-19 pandemic: Surrey Schools, March 13, 2020

Reeve said some students had already left on overseas trips before the orders were put in place last March.

She pointed to Earl Marriott Secondary students who were in England “as the world was literally shutting down around them.”

“I have to also say that had it not been a really experienced teacher, I may not have had the same experience and confidence in what was happening with our students so very far away,” said Reeve, adding the teacher was in contact with the school district staff and parents daily.

RELATED: South Surrey rugby team tries to get home from U.K. amid COVID-19 ‘chaos’, March 13, 2019

While the district says it already has “significant” policies and regulations in place, the proposed changes are intended to increase safety for staff and students and the district’s ability to respond to emergencies.

One of the proposed changes is that all extended field studies involving out-of-province travel or air travel would be arranged through the the district’s pre-approved travel service providers. The district says that would add a level of protection, all for the district to work with companies who can respond in the event of an emergency and all for consistency of contract terms and conditions.

The district is also proposing that all participants purchase trip-cancellation insurance as part of the cost of the trip.

When the district cancelled trips last year, staff had to work with travel partners and families to work out travel insurance.

Holland said staff wasn’t looking for any decisions from the board of education yet, but it was just to update for now.

Trustees said they would review the presentation and come back with any questions at a later date.



lauren.collins@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Lauren on Twitter

Education

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The emergency department at Peace Arch Hospital in White Rock, B.C., in July 2020. (Black Press Media)
Peace Arch Hospital Foundation reaches $12 million goal

New operating suites to open this fall

Peace Arch Hospital Foundation executive director Stephanie Beck speaks at a 2017 groundbreaking ceremony. In March 2020, she announced the Rapid Response Grant Program, aimed at providing financial assistance during the pandemic. (File photo)
Peace Arch Hospital Foundation launches youth program

Youth in Action designed for students who want to make an impact in their community

The RCMP logo is seen outside Royal Canadian Mounted Police “E” Division Headquarters, in Surrey, B.C., on April 13, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Surrey RCMP asking for dash-cam video of ‘suspicious incident’

Incident involves a newer model Toyota Rav 4 SUV

Elvira D’Angelo, 92, waits to receive her COVID-19 vaccination shot at a clinic in Montreal, Sunday, March 7, 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
‘It’s been a good week’: Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

Tam says the addition of two new vaccines will help Canadians get immunized faster

The Kimber family of Boston Bar lost their home in a fire. Blaine Kimber’s daughter created a fundraiser to help rebuild the home with the goal of $100,000. (Screenshot/GoFundMe)
Fundraiser created for Boston Bar family that lost everything in weekend fire

Witnesses say the Kimber family escaped the fire without injury, but their home is a total loss

(The Canadian Press)
‘Worse than Sept. 11, SARS and financial crisis combined’: Tourism industry in crisis

Travel services saw the biggest drop in active businesses with 31 per cent fewer firms operating

Pictures and notes in from friends and classmates make up a memorial in support and memory of Aubrey Berry, 4, and her sister Chloe, 6, during a vigil held at Willows Beach in Oak Bay, B.C., on December 30, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Mother of slain daughters supports recent changes to Canada’s Divorce Act

Sarah Cotton-Elliott said she believed her children took a back seat to arranging equal parenting

Victoria man Brett Andersen is asking for people’s help to secure him one of eight free tickets to the moon. (Screenshot/@brettandersen Instagram)
Victoria man wants your help securing a free ticket to the moon

Japanese billionaire offering eight people a trip to the moon

The Conservation Officers Service is warning aquarium users after invasive and potentially destructive mussels were found in moss balls from a pet store. (BC Conservation Officers Service/Facebook)
Aquarium users in B.C. warned after invasive mussels found at pet store

Conservation officers were told the mussels were found in a moss ball from a Terrace pet store.

Hockey hall-of-fame legend Wayne Gretzky, right, watches the casket of his father, Walter Gretzky, as it is carried from the church during a funeral service in Brantford, Ont., Saturday, March 6, 2021. HE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Walter Gretzky remembered as a man with a ‘heart of gold’ at funeral

The famous hockey father died Thursday at age 82 after battling Parkinson’s disease

The family of injured Willoughby resident Ronald Gerald Jesso is hoping someone saw something that will help solve the mystery of how he came to be so badly hurt on the morning of Feb. 22. Jesso is still in hospital. (Jesso family/Special to Langley Advance Times)
An appeal to help solve the mystery of an injured Langley man

Family of Ronald Gerald Jesso asks witnesses to come forward

Most Read