B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. (Photo: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito)

B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. (Photo: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito)

Surrey restaurants, pubs, will be hit hard by new COVID-19 restrictions

‘I am crushed,’ says one local pub operator

For many Surrey businesses Dr. Bonnie Henry’s new “circuit breaker” restrictions imposed as of midnight Monday until at least April 19 is tough medicine to swallow though not entirely unexpected given the rapid rise in COVID-19 cases.

“In the last few days, we have seen the start of exponential growth in new cases, hospitalizations and more people requiring critical care support,” the provincial health officer said Monday. “A circuit breaker is now required to break the chains of transmission in our province and allow us to safely move forward.”

The result is B.C. has banned indoor dining at restaurants and pubs. Anita Huberman, CEO of the board of trade, said these latest restrictions “will only worsen things” for an industry hit hard by the pandemic.

“Yes, there are some restaurants that will be compromised as a result of the order. Many have ordered a lot of food, also, for this upcoming long weekend, not being prepared for the order,” she noted. The board of trade itself issued a notice Monday that it will once again be closed for in-person service over the next three weeks. “It’s just to keep my staff safe,” Huberman said.

The government has also shut down indoor group fitness at gyms for the next three weeks and suspended until May 13 a variance that allowed for indoor worship services at churches and temples.

The City of Surrey posted a bulletin late Monday afternoon that all indoor adult group fitness activities “of any kind” at City of Surrey Recreational Facilities are cancelled until April 19.

Mayor Doug McCallum also issued a press release Tuesday indicating he plans to introduce a motion at the city’s next council meeting – Monday, April 12 – to waive patio permit fees and “fast-track” the process. Until his motion is passed, he said, application fees will be put “on hold.”

“The places that we go to enjoy a meal and the company of others will be under strain with dine-in service prohibited over the next three weeks,” McCallum stated. “That’s why I will be bringing forward a motion to help restaurants, pubs and bars looking to build or expand a patio. I am also asking council to waive the Patio Permit Fee during this period. We can all play a part in helping these businesses that are a fabric of our community by ordering take out or dining at a patio. I encourage everyone to support your neighbourhood restaurants as we work through the next three weeks.”

READ ALSO COVID-19: Fraser Health digital vaccine booking system offline Tuesday

READ ALSO: Indoor yoga, Tai Chi, ‘low intensity’ fitness machines off limits in B.C.

READ ALSO: B.C. stops indoor dining, fitness, religious service due to COVID-19 spike

Just last week the Surrey Board of Trade called on city hall to waive its Parking to Patio program fees so “way more” restaurants will have a chance to stay in business during the pandemic. And now with the new public health rules announced Monday, making patio dining and take-out service the only options open to pubs and restaurants until April 19, Surrey Councillor Linda Annis says this has become even more urgent.

“Our hospitality businesses continue to be the hardest hit by the pandemic and we should be doing everything we can to give our restaurants and pubs a fighting chance, with tougher COVID rules,” Annis said Monday. “Vancouver has thought outside of the box, meanwhile we seem to be treating temporary patios as a nuisance.”

Last year, only 12 signed onto the program, which came with a $200 application fee, a $500 damage deposit, a $500 traffic control fee for local and low-volume roads, and a $1,400 bill per parking stall on busier roads that required the installation of jersey safety barriers. While this was all split 50/50 between the city and businesses, the price was still too rich for many establishments.

Huberman last week called on city hall to waive these fees so more restaurants can affordably set up temporary seating for customers outdoors during the spring, summer and fall. She noted that more than 10,000 restaurants have shut down across Canada on account of the pandemic.

Last July the Safe Surrey Coalition majority on council rejected a motion to waive permit fees for restaurants and pubs that wanted to expand their patio space to try to recoup business lost to COVID-19.

Huberman said at press time that she met with city staff, prior to Monday’s order, “and they have absolutely no intention of modifying the program that they had released last year. It was staff that indicated that, and they said it’s because of the low participation rate in the year 2020. The City of Surrey at this time, they have no plans to modify their permitting or their patio program.”

She was not impressed with McCallum’s subsequent press release. “The next council meeting is April 12, the final week of the health order, hopefully the last week,” she noted. “So then what? Restaurants need action now, these delays are hurting businesses.”

Meantime, in the Cedar Hills area, Donegal’s Irish House operator Daniel Cook has decided to close the bar until further notice.

“I am crushed,” Cook posted to Facebook. “We worked so hard to provide a safe and healthy environment for our guests and staff, but despite all our best efforts, we’re going dark once again.

“I don’t know how long it’ll be this time around, hopefully it’ll be quicker than the last one, but we will be back,” he said.

Delta’s Sundowner Pub, at Scott Road and 64th Avenue, has shifted to take-out orders and installed tents in the parking lot to take advantage of patio dining service allowed under Monday’s health orders.

Likewise, Clayton’s Dublin Crossing Pub will be open for takeout, delivery and patio seating. “We will still be offering our full menu, and can even deliver you a bottle of wine with your order,” pub management said in a Facebook post. “Thank you for your continual support during these times.”

And for local churches that may have hoped to hold indoor services on Good Friday and Easter, albeit in a limited capacity, that won’t be happening this year either. But some, like Fleetwood Christian Reformed Church, have creatively adapted to the times. It has set up an Outdoor Prayer Path for Lent and Easter, featuring eight “stations of the cross.”

“We invite people to reflect on stories of people who sat at the table God spread before them in the extreme wilderness of their lives,” said Sarah Lee, a community intern at the church. “All the stations are up currently and they’ll be up probably for the next week or so too, like after Easter, and so people can come any time, they’re open 24/7 and they’re just all around the church parking lot right now.”

Under the new restrictions, up to 10 people can gather outdoors, at a park, beach or in a backyard, for example, as long as you stick to your same group of 10 and not add others in the mix from one day to the next. Patios and outdoor areas at restaurants, pubs and bars, however, are not included among places where 10 can sit at one table.

The BC Liberals are calling on the NDP government to provide “urgent” support for businesses and workers in light of these most recent restrictions.

“People needed that support one minute after midnight when the new restrictions came in, but there was no plan for it,” said Shirley Bond, interim leader of the Official Opposition. “How could they not have supports in place, knowing they were about to put so many British Columbians out of work for at least three weeks? The lack of care for people’s livelihoods, especially for those aged 20 to 39 in the service industry who are being blamed for the third wave by John Horgan, is unacceptable.”

On Monday Premier John Horgan took aim at British Columbians ages 20 to 39 related to the increase in case counts, saying they are “putting the rest of us in a challenging situation.”

“I’m asking, I’m appealing to young people to curtail your social activity,” he said. “My appeal to you is do not blow this for the rest of us. Do not blow this for your parents and your neighbours and others who have been working really, really hard, making significant sacrifices so we can get good outcomes for everybody.”

Huberman noted many people in that age group are front-line workers and in every age demographic, not only that one, “there are some that are not abiding by the health and safety protocols and compromising everyone else.”

“I don’t think it’s fair to generalize an age group,” she said. “We all have to act together as one. All age groups, in terms of these variants that are in our community.

“You can’t target one age demographic,” Huberman said. “I think that’s really unfair.”

– with file by Tom Zillich



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram  and follow Tom on Twitter

CoronavirusHealthSurrey

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Traffic was tied up at the intersection of Scott and Old Yale Roads in North Surrey on Tuesday afternoon, after a semi truck hauling a load of pipes flipped while making a turn. (Shane MacKichan photos)
VIDEO: Semi hauling load of pipes flips in North Surrey intersection

Traffic near Scott and Old Yale Roads tied up by Tuesday afternoon incident

Farmers raise slogans during a protest on a highway at the Delhi-Haryana state border, India, Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. Tens of thousands of farmers descended upon the borders of New Delhi to protest new farming laws that they say will open them to corporate exploitation. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Manish Swarup
Delta council stands in solidarity with protesting Indian farmers

Farmers have been protesting for months new laws they say leave them open to corporate exploitation

Sheila Malcolmson, B.C.’s minister of mental health and addictions (Screen shot)
Minister of mental health tells Surrey audience COVID-19 ‘has made everything worse’

More than 23,000 people in B.C. are receiving medication to treat opioid addiction

Alex Sangha, Vinay Giridhar, Jaspal Sangha and Kayden Bhangu (clockwise from top) are involved in making “Emergence: Out of the Shadows,” a documentary movie about being gay or lesbian in the South Asian community of Metro Vancouver. (Submitted photo)
Sher Vancouver, Delta School District receiving $10,000 in anti-racism funding

Provincial grants for 192 projects addressing anti-Indigenous, anti-Asian and anti-Black racism

Surrey city council chambers. (File photo)
Surrey drugstores seeking relaxation of spacing rules ‘a challenge,’ councillor says

‘Obviously we need pharmacies but it seems to me that we are getting an awful lot of applications,’ Brenda Locke says

Restaurant patrons enjoy the weather on a patio in Vancouver, B.C., Monday, April 5, 2021. The province has restricted indoor dining at all restaurants in B.C. due to a spike in COVID-19 numbers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C.’s COVID-19 indoor dining, drinking ban extending into May

Restaurant association says patio rules to be clarified

In a 2019 photograph, Yin Yin Din held a picture of her brother Kyaw Naing Din, 54, and her late father Hla Din who passed away in 2014, during a trip to Victoria. (The News files)
Family of B.C. man killed by cop appeals to Attorney General for help

The Din family want B.C. Attorney General David Eby to forward their case to Crown

B.C. Premier John Horgan speaks at the B.C. legislature. (B.C. government)
Tougher COVID-19 restrictions in B.C., including travel, still ‘on the table’: Horgan

John Horgan says travel restrictions will be discussed Wednesday by the provincial cabinet

Protesters occupied a road leading to Fairy Creek Watershed near Port Renfrew. (Submitted photo)
B.C. First Nation says logging activist interference not welcome at Fairy Creek

Vancouver Island’s Pacheedaht concerned about increasing polarization over forestry activities

Flow Academy is not accepting membership applications from anybody who has received a dose of the vaccine, according to a password-protected membership application form. (Submitted image)
B.C. martial arts gym refusing patrons who have been vaccinated, wear masks

Interior Health has already issued a ticket to Flow Academy for non-compliance with public health orders

Of 46 arrests made between March 16 and 19 at Metrotown mall in Burnaby, 27 suspected shoplifters are now facing charges. (Twitter/Burnaby RCMP)
RCMP arrest 46 people in 4 days during Metrotown shoplifting crackdown

$4,800 in stolen merchandise was recovered and returned to businesses inside of the mall

Maple Ridge's Doug Ubell caught some photographs recently that he was anxious to share, one taken while on the Trans-Canada Trail looking southwest towards the Pitt River Bridge, and another from on Golden Ears Bridge. (Special to The News)
Traffic on Golden Ears Bridge returning to pre-pandemic levels

Commuters from Greater Vancouver still driving more, taking transit less

Kao Macaulay has been charged in relation to a home break-in on March 30 in Abbotsford in which five kittens were stolen. (Facebook photo)
‘Prolific offender’ charged with theft of 5 newborn kittens in Abbotsford

Kao Macaulay, 23, is accused of breaking into home on March 30

Facebook screenshot of the sea lion on Holberg Road. (Greg Clarke Facebook video)
VIDEO: Sea lion randomly spotted on remote B.C. logging road

Greg Clarke was driving home on the Holberg Road April 12, when he saw a large sea lion.

Most Read