Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum poses with an example of a Surrey Police cruiser after his State of the City Address at Civic Hotel on May 7. (Photo: Amy Reid)

POLICING TRANSITION

Surrey Mounties must now investigate their job prospects

Farnworth’s decision effectively turned hourglass on Surrey’s policing transition from RCMP

homelessphoto

Who among Surrey’s Mounties will follow in the footsteps of “Fearless Jimmy?”

Some 843 officers currently working to Maintiens le Droit (Uphold the Right) in this city are now confronted with the same decision James Lloyd Craig had to make more than 68 years ago, except in the reverse.

The towering English immigrant joined the Surrey Police force in 1942, when there was only a handful of officers policing these parts. He was one of the officers to bridge the gap between that force and the RCMP when the national force replaced the local one on May 1, 1951.

Back then, an increasing population required an expansion in policing services and as the result of a plebiscite the Surrey Police was consigned to the history books and the municipality entered into a cost-sharing agreement with the federal government.

Fearless Jimmy, as Craig was nick-named, signed up with the Surrey RCMP in 1951 but ended up retiring two years later rather than be transferred from Cloverdale, which was dear to his heart.

It’s no secret the Surrey of today is divided on the city’s pending divorce with the RCMP, substantially advanced with Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth’s announcement on Aug. 22 giving the go-ahead to the establishment of a made-in-Surrey police force, under the auspices of the provincial government.

READ ALSO OUR VIEW: Province must ensure transparency in Surrey’s policing transition

READ ALSO: McCallum calls it a great and historic day as province approves Surrey’s policing plan

While so many details have yet to be hammered out, Farnworth’s decision effectively turned the hourglass on this controversial policing transition plan and now the sand is trickling down to its inevitable realization as opposed to just being a campaign promise awaiting approval.

So far the response from the Surrey RCMP to this latest news has been stoic.

“We have a job to do and everyone here is fully in team mode – we are all committed to doing our work, and we’ve been hearing that over and over from members,” Surrey RCMP Corporal Elenore Sturko told the Now-Leader on Monday. “Every time a different step in their process comes forward it still has an emotional reaction for members but for us, we still are working every day.

“Especially for our front-line members, we’re not working in a political world, we’re working in the human world where the calls are still coming in and we’re still working to serve the public,” she said. “The process moves on but we have our commitment and as a police officer your commitment is to public safety.

homelessphoto

Surrey RCMP Corporal Elenore Sturko. (Photo: Tom Zytaruk)

“When we’re doing our work we have to in some ways separate ourselves from what’s happening and just continue to do our job the best that we can,” Sturko said.

“We do have a lot of history here and our members are proud to serve in Surrey so we’re going to keep on doing our job proudly and if a change is taken, happens, then we’re going to do our best to the very end of that process.”

Sturko said “it’s not us versus them. The city has given their notice to the province, the province has said we understand your desire to transition. We don’t have any role in that decision – our role is very clear, and it’s to police. We just have to stay focused and not let whatever processes are taking place to distract us from our priority, and our priority is policing and keeping Surrey safe.”

Farnworth acknowledged it is “essential that adequate and effective policing is maintained throughout the transition and beyond.” Concern over file continuity in investigations has been raised by people like Darlene Bennett, whose husband Paul, 47, was shot dead in the driveway of their Cloverdale home last year.

READ ALSO: Surrey reacts to policing plan getting the green light

READ ALSO: Province approves Surrey’s plan to establish municipal police force

“I have received no assurances from the mayor that this transition will not jeopardize Paul’s right to justice,” Bennett wrote in a guest column published in the Now-Leader in May.

While this monumental project to part ways with the Surrey RCMP was a cornerstone of Mayor Doug McCallum’s and his Safe Surrey Coalition’s campaign platform – and city council at its inaugural meeting last November served notice to the provincial and federal governments that it will end its contract with the Surrey RCMP – it’s not as though it was conceived overnight.

Though the issue of retiring the RCMP for a made-in Surrey police force had often been raised in previous decades, it grew new legs in April 2003 when McCallum was mayor, after RCMP brass revealed a plan to fold Canada’s largest detachment into a larger policing area that would included Langley and White Rock – a move McCallum considered regressive.

He was livid that the RCMP didn’t consult with the city on that plan, leading to a five-four vote on council to look at setting up a Surrey police force.

“I think they’ve pushed us too far this time,” McCallum said of the RCMP at that time. “On top of that, no consulting.”

But later that year, in July, the RCMP’s amalgamation plan was put on hold for lack of support and by December 2003 council decided to stick with the RCMP.

All said, at this stage of the game, following Farnworth’s announcement last Thursday, it would require nothing short of an act of God for the Surrey RCMP to win a similar reprieve.



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Tom on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Delta companies asked to contribute through B.C.’s new COVID-19 supply hub

New online hub to co-ordinate, source, expedite supplies and equipment to support front-line workers

Two people fined for trying to re-sell N95 and surgical masks in Delta

Police confiscated over 5,000 masks and are working with Fraser Health to see them put to good use

B.C. firefighters only responding to most life-threatening calls during COVID-19 pandemic

The directive comes after province spoke with paramedics, fire services, according to top doctor

‘An extra $220 every 90 days’: B.C. patients pay more dispensing fees due to prescription limits

Kelowna woman says it’s outrageous to charge for refills every 30 days

COVID-19: Daily update on the pandemic in Surrey, White Rock, Delta and beyond

APRIL 4: Two people in Delta fined for trying to re-sell N95 masks

Education, not enforcement: B.C. bylaw officers keeping a watch on physical distancing

A kind word, it turns out, has usually been all people need to hear

QUIZ: How much do you know about hockey?

Take this test and find out how well you know Canada’s most popular winter sport

Researchers look at humidity as a weapon in the fight against airborne viruses

Regular hand washing, physical distancing and PPE for health care workers remains best line of defense

Exercises move online with YMCA’s new nationwide virtual workout program

YThrive Home offers dozens of free workout videos for people during COVID-19 self-isolation period

Two inmates found positive for COVID-19 at Mission Institution; two other tests pending

15 staff self-isolating waiting results, says correctional officer

B.C. community service provider hosts friendly art competition for youth

Theme for Pacific Community Resources contest is ‘finding the silver lining in difficult times’

Critic, workers’ group ‘disappointed’ Trudeau chose Amazon to distribute PPE

Amazon Canada said in an email to The Canadian Press that it is working with Canada Post, Purolator

Full World COVID-19 update: National Guard collect ventilators in New York; Spain, Italy improve

Comprehensive coronavirus update with news from around the world.

TransLink to reduce service on some bus routes, SeaBus, West Coast Express

Changes start April 6 ‘due to low ridership and financial pressures’ amid COVID-19

Most Read