The number of pets exposed to cannabis in Canada appears to be on the rise, according to the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association.
The association said Tuesday that 54 incidents were reported in the first seven months of 2019, compared to 64 in all of 2018.
The figures come from Canadian pet owners and veterinarians seeking help from the Pet Poison Hotline in the United States. Because Canada does not have its own national pet poison registry, the association believes the actual numbers are even higher.
In a letter to Health Canada earlier this year, the organization advocated for allowing veterinarians to advise pet owners on how to use cannabis for their pets and for putting “Keep out of reach of animals” labels on cannabis products.