The purpose of the Crime Beat is to educate and inform the public about some of the property crime trends occurring in North Delta and other files of interest. It is submitted weekly by the Delta Police Department.
If you see anything occurring that you believe to be suspicious, call 911 for in progress crimes and emergencies or 604-946-4411 for other assistance.
The following are some of the calls the Delta Police responded to in the previous week:
• July 26, 6:58 a.m., 900-block Cliveden Ave.: Complainant reported their vehicle window smashed sometime overnight. Nothing stolen from vehicle.
• July 26, 1:53 p.m., 900-block Alex Fraser Bridge: Complainant reported the cable wiring for some lights underneath the bridge stolen.
• July 27, 3:27 a.m., 8200-block 92nd Ave.: Complainant at a business reported a pressure washer stolen from an outside bay. The suspect was able to access the business compound through a partially fenced area.
• July 27, 10:55 p.m., 1000-block Cliveden Ave.: A business received a call from informing them they owed $750 for their power and if it was not paid, the power would be turned off. The business deposited the funds by email as instructed by the caller. Following the transaction, the business contacted BC Hydro who confirmed the business’ account was not in arrears and that the business had been the victim of fraud.
• July 27, 7:00 p.m., 8200-block 92nd St.: Complainant reported their electric bike stolen from the their workplace. The bike is described as a black EPIK brand valued at $2,500.
• July 28, 11:27 a.m., 600-block Derwent Way: A business sent $75,000 to another business in Alberta in exchange for decommissioned gas compressors which were to be resold for profit. The business indicated the money had been sent two months ago and the compressors had not been received. The business now believes they are the victim of fraud and requested police investigate.
• July 28, 8:47 p.m., 11200-block 86th Ave.: Report received from complainant that their parent’s home had been broken into. Police attended and found the master bedroom had been entered and clothing and drawers were thrown about. Unknown what was stolen.
• July 29, 10:46 a.m., 11700-block 92nd Ave.: Complainant contacted police to report a male on the property across the street. The suspect had climbed in a window and appeared to be stealing wire. Police attended and located a suspect with numerous items from the property as well as a knife. The suspect was found to have a probation order with the condition “no possession of knives.” Suspect arrested and held for court.
• July 29, 9:39 p.m., 8900-block 120th St.: Police observed a vehicle run a stop sign in a liquor store parking lot. The driver was found to have an odour of alcohol on their breath. Two breath samples provided by the driver both read “fail” and as a result the suspect was given driving and vehicles suspensions and the vehicle impounded.