Chilliwack Law Courts. (Black Press file)

Chilliwack Law Courts. (Black Press file)

Man sentenced to 20 months for sexual offences involving a minor in Mission

Will Laws Clark was 22 and victim was 13 at time offences began

A man who was initially charged with nine sexual offences in Abbotsford and Mission has been sentenced to 20 months in prison for one of those charges.

Will Laws Clark, 26, was sentenced Friday (Jan. 22) in B.C. Supreme Court in Chilliwack after previously pleading guilty to sexual interference of a person under 16 in Mission in 2017.

Two other Mission charges – invitation to sexual touching and sexual assault – were stayed at sentencing.

Six previous charges in Abbotsford – two counts each of sexual interference, invitation to sexual touching and sexual assault – were all dismissed in October 2019.

The Mission case involved Laws Clark having sex three times in July and August 2017 with a girl who was 13 and then turned 14. He was 22 at the time.

Justice Elizabeth McDonald said during her oral ruling on Friday that the pair first exchanged messages and photos over social media, and both shared their actual ages.

RELATED: Man pleads guilty to sexual interference in Mission

Laws Clark then asked the teen if she wanted to meet in person. On the first occasion, the girl snuck out of her home between 12:30 and 1 a.m. and met him at a school parking lot.

Laws Clark then drove to a secluded location in a park. He first suggested they cuddle and then initiated sex, McDonald said.

A week later, the same situation took place.

The third incident was in August 2017, when the pair were watching TV together.

McDonald said the criminal behaviour was revealed when “news of their sexual encounters had apparently become a topic of local gossip.”

RELATED: Man, 24, charged with nine sexual offences in Abbotsford and Mission

Laws Clark told the teen to deny having had sex with him, but when police began an investigation, messages between the pair were found on his phone, McDonald said.

He pleaded guilty in July 2020, and a subsequent pre-sentence report with a psychological assessment was completed.

McDonald said one of the doctors who interviewed Laws Clark concluded that his sexual history and abusive family background may have “negatively impacted his mental health and the development of proper sexual behaviour.”

At the time of the offences, Laws Clark described himself as “being high on drugs all the time” and being in “emotional turmoil” over the death of his grandmother, McDonald said.

She said he appeared to attribute his conduct to drug use and failed to focus on the harm caused to the victim, but did tell one doctor that he was “very sorry” and regretted his actions.

However, the judge said the girl was vulnerable at the time of the offences, and Laws Clark exploited that.

She referenced the victim impact statement that was presented at the sentencing hearing in which the girl indicated she has ongoing memories about the abuse that are affecting her “very negatively.”

She feels she is carrying a “heavy burden” and has daily anxiety for which she takes medication, the judge said.

“She feels completely changed as a person and she now looks at men differently,” McDonald said.

“These experiences with Mr. Laws Clark during the offences have created serious and long-lasting negative impacts on her well-being, including negative impacts to her mental and physical integrity.”

The Crown had recommended a sentence of two years less a day, while the defence had suggested 18 months.

Laws Clark’s jail term will be followed by two years of probation during which he must follow several conditions, including not being present with anyone under the age of 16 unless he is with a responsible adult or using a device to communicate online with anyone under the age of 16.



vhopes@abbynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

crimesexual abuse

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Image Surrey.ca
Surrey to pony up one-third of cost for Cloverdale lacrosse project in 2022

This will be at the Cloverdale Athletic Park at 64th Avenue and 168th Street

Island Health chief medical officer Dr. Richard Stanwick receives a first dose of Pfizer vaccine, Dec. 22, 2020. (B.C. government)
COVID-19: B.C. seniors aged 80+ can start to sign up for vaccination on March 8

Long-term care residents protected by shots already given

Surrey’s Panorama Ridge Secondary. (Photo: listings.kaassociates.ca)
Police investigating assault with a weapon at Panorama Ridge Secondary in Surrey

School placed on a ‘hold and secure’ until safety of all students confirmed

On some blocks in North Delta it was nearly end-to-end refuse during the city’s 2018 Spring Clean-Up. (James Smith photo)
Delta’s Large Item Pick-Up Program starts today

Beginning March 1, residents will be able to dispose of up to four large household items per year

B.C. Court of Appeal in Vancouver. (File photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Murder conviction upheld in case where Surrey mom was stabbed in front of her kids

Jury in 2017 found Tanpreet Kaur Athwal, aka Sonia Kaur Gill, guilty of first-degree murder in 2007 death of Amanpreet Bahia, 33

Langley resident Carrie MacKay shared a video showing how stairs are a challenge after spending weeks in hospital battling COVID-19 (Special to Langley Advance Times)
VIDEO: Stairs a challenge for B.C. woman who chronicled COVID-19 battle

‘I can now walk for six (to) 10 minutes a day’

Face mask hangs from a rear-view mirror. (Black Press image)
B.C. CDC unveils guide on how to carpool during the pandemic

Wearing masks, keeping windows open key to slowing the spread of COVID-19

Churches, including Langley’s Riverside Calvary Church, are challenging the regulations barring them from holding in-person worship services during COVID-19. (Langley Advance Times file)
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen takes part in an update on the COVID pandemic during a press conference in Ottawa on October 27, 2020. The City of Vancouver says it has purchased a former hotel at a major thoroughfare that can house about 65 units to accommodate homeless people. A joint news release by the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and city says 2075 Kingsway, Days Inn by Wyndham Vancouver, will be ready for accommodation this November. The Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen also announced a $51.5 million Rapid Housing Initiative for Vancouver that is expected to create 135 new affordable homes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Former Vancouver hotel to be converted to 65 units for homeless people by the fall

The former Days Inn on Kingsway will be ready to house people in November

Det. Sgt. Jim Callender. (Hamilton Police Service screenshot)
B.C. man dead, woman seriously injured after shooting in Hamilton, Ont.

The man was in the process of moving to the greater Toronto area, police say

(Black Press file photo)
Child in critical condition, homicide investigators probe incident near Agassiz

The child was transported to hospital but is not expected to survive

Sewage plant in Lower Mainland, operated by Metro Vancouver. (Metro Vancouver screenshot)
‘Poop tracker’ launches as researchers test Lower Mainland sewage water for COVID-19

‘Studying the virus in wastewater allows researchers to look at an entire population…’

(Pxhere)
Compensation fund opens for B.C. students negatively affected by incorrect exam marks

Marks for 2019 provincial exams were incorrectly tabulated

Most Read