The Delta School District will be lowering its temperatures in schools for the next week, after a pipeline explosion near Prince George has created a possible shortage in natural gas.
On Tuesday, Oct. 9, an explosion along an Enbridge natural gas pipeline near Prince George sparked a massive fire, which forced about 100 members of the nearby Lheidli T’enneh First Nation from their homes.
The pipeline is part of the Westcoast Transmission System, which brings natural gas to customers around the province.
Following the explosion, FortisBC asked customers to reduce their natural gas use in anticipation of reduced energy flow.
Because of this, the Delta School District will be shutting off its heat around 11 a.m. each day in its schools and other facilities.
“Given the weather forecast for the next few days, this is likely not going to have a drastic impact on the temperature in facilities throughout the early afternoon,” the district said in a news release.
“However, as we move into the evening hours, temperatures in our facilities will begin to drop. As a result we are recommending all students and staff members be prepared accordingly with appropriate clothing to layer as needed throughout the day.”