Delta’s residential recycling program is changing, with one key goal: To ensure more materials are recycled as intended.
Residents will see three key changes to their curbside or shared recycling program:
- Yellow Bag/Mixed Paper Bin – Newspaper will be combined with mixed paper and cardboard in a Yellow Bag or Mixed Paper Bin – no more Blue Bags or Newspaper Bins!
- Grey Box/Glass Bin – Glass bottles and jars will be separated into the new Grey Box or Glass Bin – glass is no longer accepted in the Blue Box or Containers Bin.
- Blue Box/Containers Bin – Include ONLY plastic, metal and other containers such as cartons and paper cups in your Blue Box or Containers Bin.
Plastic bags and foam containers are no longer accepted in residential recycling, and should be taken to local depots for recycling.
Why the change?
Delta is joining Recycle BC, the not-for-profit organization responsible for residential packaging and paper recycling across the province. The program changes align with Recycle BC’s requirements which will help ensure the maximum amount of materials collected are recycled as intended.Joining Recycle BC will also reduce Delta’s recycling costs and help save residents money!
Why no bags or foam?
Recycle BC also requires plastic bags and foam containers be returned to depots for recycling. When placed in your Blue Box, they can become tangled with other recyclables during collection, breaking down into smaller pieces that are impossible to separate. Like the glass fragments, that reduces the recyclability of all items collected.
By taking plastic bags and foam containers to your nearest drop-off depot, you’ll ensure that bags, foam containers, and the materials that are still accepted in your Blue Box are properly recycled!
For a detailed list of what is now accepted for curbside recycling as well as what can be returned to depots, visit recyclebc.ca/what-can-i-recycle.
Find a drop-off depot near you:
- Tsawwassen Return-It Centre, 5636 12 Ave.
- Ladner Bottle Depot, 4930 Elliott St.
- Scott Road Bottle Depot, 12111 86 Ave.
- Vancouver Landfill Recycling Depot, 5400 72 St.
New box and bin deliveries underway
Delivery of new Grey Boxes and Glass Bins is underway and expected to be complete by the end of September. Every Delta property that receives curbside recycling collection will receive a Grey Box, a larger Yellow Bag, and a new Collection Guide delivered to their front door.
Properties with shared recycling, such as apartments, condos, float homes, and some townhomes, will receive a new Glass Bin as well as new stickers for existing bins. New Shared Recycling Guides will also be provided.
When to start?
Start following the new Recycle 2020 guidelines as soon as you receive your new Grey Box or Glass Bin. The new program is expected to begin on Oct. 1, 2020 once all materials have been delivered.
Still have questions?
Visit delta.ca/recycle to learn more or contact the Engineering Department at 604-946-3260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.