If the crew at Delta’s Sundowner Pub doesn’t know your name on your first visit, chances are they’ll know it when you leave.
It’s just that kind of place, and along with the yummy pub food, inviting atmosphere and variety of special events and activities, that’s exactly what guests are loving.
“We put the neighbour in neighbourhood pub,” Sundowner Pub manager Michelle O’Flynn Cozzuol says with a smile, noting the changes have had an impact on the community, too. “It’s a modern-day Cheers. There’s just such a community atmosphere.”
After a 35-year history in the community, when Sundowner owner and founder Ed Podavin died in 2014, family friend Marilyn Saunders saw the opportunity to return the pub to a place Ed and the community would be proud of.
Calling on her 20-year history in the industry, Marilyn re-opened the fully renovated pub in June 2015, complete with a new bar, new kitchen and 24 new TV screens. Today, the Sundowner Pub is regularly chosen as one of the best in the Surrey and North Delta areas.
“We have people coming in who haven’t visited in 10 years and they can’t believe the changes,” Michelle says. “People who used to visit as young couples now coming back as their children are getting married.”
That success has come from Marilyn’s willingness to ask customers what they want, and listen to the answers…
- Events & activities: Customers love the buzz that comes from events like Monday Night Football, Music Bingo and the weekly charity meat draw, which has raised funds for two local elementary schools – including a new playground!
- Start the bus! If customers love football, they love their hockey even more, so the Sundowner Pub arranges regular bus trips to take in Vancouver Canucks games. And if they can’t catch the game live, there’s always one of those 24 TVs.
- Live Music: Keeping that local focus, live music with area bands lends a lively weekend atmosphere to the pub.
- Good food, great prices: Try it once and there’s nowhere else you’ll want to be for Friday lunch or Sunday brunch, thanks to the return of the Sundowner buffet. But don’t worry, there’s a hot special seven days a week, not to mention a host of other tempting menu entries, and happy hour specials that include both appies and drinks.
- Community involvement: The community feel customers love inside the pub extends outside too. In addition to local schools and the annual Kids With Helping Hands toy drive, the Sundowner team supports Dreams Take Flight, a national charitable organization providing trips of a lifetime to children with medical, mental, physical, social or emotional challenges, and the Reach Child & Youth Development Society, helping Delta children with developmental challenges reach their full potential.