• Guided Heritage Tours — North Delta: Aug. 9, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; Tidewaters Liquor Store, 10190 River Rd.; For millennia the Fraser River has shaped the land and the people living along its banks. Explore the history of the Fraser from time immemorial to the modern day and learn how it has shaped our community.
• 7th Annual North Delta Show & Shine: Aug. 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Sungod Recreation Centre; Into its seventh year, the North Delta Show & Shine gets bigger and better each time! Check out dozens of classic and vintage cars, have a bite to eat at the food truck and enjoy music by a live DJ. Do you have a hot rod, muscle car, restored antique or foreign model? We’d love to see your vehicle at the Show & Shine. To pre-register, call 604-952-3000 or sign up at the show between 8 and 10 a.m. Registration cost is $20 per vehicle and includes t-shirt and dash plaque.
• Guided Heritage Tours — North Delta: Aug. 11, 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.; Tidewaters Liquor Store, 10190 River Rd.; For millennia the Fraser River has shaped the land and the people living along its banks. Explore the history of the Fraser from time immemorial to the modern day and learn how it has shaped our community.
• Outdoor Movie Night — Coco: Aug. 15, 8 p.m.; North Delta Community Park, 11311 84th Ave.; Join us for a free family friendly movie, starting at at dusk. We will be showing Coco: “Despite his family’s generations-old ban on music, young Miguel dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead. After meeting a charming trickster named Héctor, the two new friends embark on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel’s family history.”
• Delta Community Animal Expo: Aug 19, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Memorial Park, 5010 47th Ave., Ladner; Bring your leashed friendly dog(s) and have a great time at this fun free family event. Participate in games, try a lure course, watch dog and rabbit agility shows, compete in or watch the Build A Dog House competition, enjoy food trucks and meet some amazing exotic animals and pets for adoption. All fundraising benefits the Delta Community Animal Shelter’s Tollie Fund, which allows the shelter to provide veterinarian assistance, behavior rehabilitation or other types of support to help Delta’s abandoned animals have a chance at a healthy adoption.
• Poetry Night in Punjabi: Aug. 21, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.; George Mackie Library; The library in collaboration with Kendri Punjabi Lekhak Sabha, Uttari Amrika and Punjabi Lekhak Manch Vancouver offers poetry night in Punjabi and Hindi. Hear two published poets/authors read and discuss their work and answer questions from the audience.
• Ginalina: Aug. 24, 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.; George Mackie Library; Be part of a musical adventure celebrating nature, family, friends and more. Gina is a Juno-nominated children’s singer-songwriter who writes rollicking, roaring and ridiculously catchy songs for the whole family to sing together. Part of the library’s Summer Reading Club. This is a ticketed event, so registration is required. Please pick up your tickets at the library beginning Aug. 17.
• Teen Night — Pizza & Games: Aug. 28, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.; George Mackie Library; Do you love to play board games? Are you between 12 and 19 years old? Then come to the library for a fun night of gaming and free pizza. Games and snacks provided by Imperial Hobbies.
• Day at the Farm: Sept. 8, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Westham Island Herb Farm, 4690 Kirkland Rd., Ladner; Join us for the 13th annual Day at the Farm. Our goal is to help educate our communities about the nature and importance of agriculture and non-market environmental services that it provides. The event will feature the very popular hay-wagon farm tours (led by 3rd generation farmer Gordon Ellis), as well as local music, a talent show, a mini-auction, homemade food contest, potato dig, food trucks and so much more. Admission is free or by donation to the food bank. As this is a working farm, please leave your dogs at home.
• MP Carla Qualtrough’s Community BBQ: Sept. 8, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.; Annieville Lions Lark, 9150 112th St.; Delta MP Carla Qualtrough is hosting her annual community BBQ. All members of our community are invited for a free BBQ to celebrate the end of summer. Lunch will be served by the North Delta Lions Club. Back to school items will be collected for students in need. RSVP at cqualtrough.ca or call us at 778-593-4007.
• Luminary Festival: Sept. 8, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunstone Park, 10400 Delsom Cresc., North Delta; It’s a special, sparkling end-of-summer festival. Illuminate yourself with costume and lights, and create a lantern to light the way. Featuring the jazz, funk and soul rhythms of Soulstream; performers and buskers; costumes and lanterns; art and light displays; food trucks and vendors; kids activities and crafts; and the Parade of Lights at 8:30 p.m. We encourage you to wear an illuminated costume and make your own lantern to bring to the event. Please use glow sticks or solar/battery-powered lights in your lanterns. The use of open flames is prohibited.
• Community Games Drop-in: Third Sunday of the month, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.; Trinity Lutheran Church, 11040 River Rd.; Swing by for badminton, ping pong and board games. It’s fun for all ages, but kids under 12 need to be accompanied by an adult. Admission by donation of one non-perishable food item per person for the Food Bank.
• Prostate Cancer Support Group Surrey: Last Saturday of every month, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (except July and Dec.); Valley View Memorial Gardens, 14644 72 Ave., Surrey; PCSG Surrey provides awareness, support and education for the prevention, treatment and cure for men diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer in Delta, Surrey, Langley and White Rock. Spouses and guests are welcome. For additional info visit procansupport.com or call 604 574-4012.
• Crossroads United Church Monthly Community Dinner: Fourth Saturday of every month, doors open at 4:30 p.m., dinner starts at 5 p.m.; Crossroads United Church, 7655 120th St.; Crossroads United Church invites you to their monthly community dinner. Come and enjoy this free nutritious meal served in a casual, safe environment. It is a sit-down served meal and is open to anyone who would benefit from good food in a safe, family-friendly setting. For more info go to crossroads-united-church.ca.
• Delta Scottsdale Lions Club: Second and fourth Tuesday of each month; The Lions Club is a service club that welcomes both ladies and men. If you would like to be involved in helping in your community, join us on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month (not mandatory) at the Delta Golf Course. For more info call Al at 604-594-8783.
• Canadian Federation of University Women, North Delta/Surrey: CFUW is a national non-partisan, voluntary, self-funded organization working to improve the status of women and to promote human rights, public education, social justice and peace. North Delta/Surrey club meets monthly and is open to all women graduates, students and associates. Call Barb (604-594-6145) or Eleanor (604-589-3631), or email firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• North Delta Newcomers and Friends: NDNF is a ladies social club. Please call and arrange to attend some of our morning walks, coffee times, stitch-and-chats, card games, par-3 golf, potlucks and monthly dinners. For more info please call Kathy (604-583-3691) or Diane (604-543-7345).